Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Produce

I know it's been a while since I've blogged, but I've been very exhausted when I get home from work.
We recently visited my in-laws and parents and ended up bringing a lot of apples, potatoes and onions along with some butternut squash home with up. I'm planning on making apple butter with the apples, dehydrate the onions but I'm not sure what to do with the squash. My husband doesn't like squash, so I'll be the only one eating it. I thought about canning it, but I currently don't have a pressure canner. I'm not sure the best way to freeze it either.
We are very blessed to have such wonderful, generous families! I'm sure I'll figure out something.

1 comment:

  1. Squash? With my pumpkin...I just cooked it up, pureed it and measured out into baggies and froze that way. It can be mixed in with lots of foods...including mac n cheese...does Jason read this? If he doesn't, try it out...about 1/2 a cup and since it is the same color and pureed the texture and color doesn't change. At 1 cup amount it does add a sweetness to the mac n cheese...I also have some great recipes...you could use the squash instead of pumpkin to make pumpkin bread/cupcakes and those both freeze well. We should be neighbors...I'll let you do the actual gardening then I'll help you store it all :)

    ReplyDelete